What is the Boiler Upgrade Scheme?
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS) is a UK Government initiative to encourage more people in England and Wales to install low carbon heating systems, such as heat pumps and biomass boilers.
What technologies are covered by the scheme and how much funding is available?
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme covers three low carbon heating systems:
- Air source heat pump: £5,000 off cost and installation.
- Biomass boiler: £5,000 off cost and installation*.
- Ground source heat pump: £6,000 off cost and installation.
*Please note the grant will only cover biomass boilers in rural locations and in properties that are not connected to the gas grid.
How will I know which low carbon heating system is right for my property?
ECS can advise whether a heat pump or biomass boiler is suitable for your property. They may recommend improving the energy efficiency of your property first.
Who can apply to the scheme?
It’s open to homeowners, as well as owners of small business properties, in England and Wales only.
To apply, you’ll need to:
- Own your property (this can be a home or a small business property).
- Have a property with an installation capacity up to 45kWth (this covers most homes).
- Have a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), ECS can arrange this for you. Your EPC must not have any outstanding recommendations for loft or cavity wall insulation.
When does the scheme open?
The scheme runs from 2022 to 2025.
Low carbon heating systems that are commissioned on or after 1 April 2022 will be eligible for funding under the scheme.
However, applications and payments can only be made from 23 May 2022 at the earliest.
How can I access the scheme?
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme is an installer-led scheme. This means that the installer will apply for the grant on your behalf.
The value of the grant will be taken off the final price you pay.
We recommend you get quotes from more than one installer to make sure you’re getting the best value for money.
How will the process work?
- Contact us to book in your free consulation
- The installer will then advise you on whether your installation is eligible for a grant under the scheme.
- You will agree a quote for the installation with your installer, and this should include the grant from the Boiler Upgrade Scheme as a deduction from the total amount.
- ECS will then apply for the grant.
- You will need to confirm that the ECS is acting on your behalf with Ofgem when they contact you.